WLS, the ABC O&O in Chicago, has announced changes behind the anchor desk:
- Cheryl Burton, who joined the station in 1992, will take over Kathy Brock’s spot at 10 p.m.
- Brock joined the station in 1990 as a morning anchor and announced her retirement earlier this month.
- Burton has been a major fixture on the station’s 10 p.m. newscast since 2003; her name and image appears in talent reopens.
- Burton will continue to anchor the station’s 5 p.m. newscast with Alan Krashesky and the hour-long 7 p.m. newscast the station produces for WCIU, with Hosea Sanders.
- Judy Tsu, who currently co-anchors the station’s 4 p.m. newscast, will add the 6 p.m. show to her duties.
- Tsu has been with the station since 2001, originally anchor the morning news.
- Morning anchor Tanja Babich, who appears on the station from 4:30 to 7 a.m., will now anchor the 11 a.m. newscast.
- Babich joined ABC 7 in 2014 and, in 2016, replaced Tsu on the morning anchor desk.
- Brock’s departure will be the latest in a series of high profile retirements at the station — including anchors Linda Yu, Ron Magers and meteorologist Jerry Taft.
- The changes take effect June 28, 2018.